Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My Gal Story: Why I became a Gyaru

I have seen a lot of these on the internet, girls in the Western Gyaru communities sharing their stories, sort of like an inspirational sort of thing and I thought I would share mine.

When I was 17 years old, I went off to college, and I wasn't ready. I didn't like the place, I didn't like the people there, it was a miserable experience. And rather than admit to myself that it was the worst thing I've ever gone through and just go home, like I should have... I stuck it out. Because I didn't want my family to be disappointed in me. Needless to say, I failed. And after that debacle, I went back again the next year, and failed again. I was taking medication that wasn't helping me, I was so depressed I could barely leave the bed, and I never left my room. I felt like the biggest loser on the planet for not being able to tough it out and do well despite being in a place that was, in every way, all wrong for me. I came home, to my grandparents and my dad, and I sat in my room for three years, getting more and more depressed. I would only leave the house to go visit my mother who I am very close to, but even that was really really hard for me.

And then this February, my mom's new husband went back to England to attend his father's funeral, and I went to go stay with her. It was so different... it was like all the negativity just disappeared. I started being myself again. I started being a person again. We started shopping for cute clothes, we decided to look better and feel better too. We got really into learning about makeup and hair, and that is when I found Gyaru. It was everything I wanted to be again. Fun, loud, vibrant, and beautiful. I started doing my hair and makeup immediately and I've been in the gyaru lifestyle and fashion for a couple of months now and loving every moment of it. I'm even buying extensions and circle lenses and taking longer than I ever have in my whole life to get ready, but it's what makes me feel beautiful. It makes me feel like me.

I am by no means perfect at this, and no one should take my advice on this blog as the be-all end-all gospel on gyaru when there are gals online that have been doing this for a lot, lot longer than I have. This is just my own personal blog and my opinions on things. If it's inspirational to fellow new Gals, that's great :) And I welcome emails and comments and everything else. I have watched the community for a while and I am glad to finally be a part of it in some small way, but I won't be going on Gyaru_Secrets or anything like that though, or participating in the LJ communities, because I don't approve of or need that sort of negativity. Gyaru for me is all about positivity and I don't really care what anyone else has to say about that. I of course do welcome girls from the community to talk to me, or new gals to ask questions about me and what I DO know about Gyaru fashion and share pointers about makeup and hair and enjoy each other's company genuinely.

I also don't have any pictures of myself just yet, because I am waiting on a new digital camera or for my old one to get fixed but as soon as I get one, I will be posting tons of pictures so you can all see me, my makeup and hair and be just as much a part of the Gyaru blogging community as the other gals! Anyway!

Hello Western Gyaru World, here I am!

xoxo- Miko

1 comment:

  1. I am really interested in Gyaru but I don't know where to start. I want change my style and I feel like so dull sometimes and I want to refresh myself. I'm 18 years old and I also live in texas. :) I'm also an L/XL girl and it's hard finding clothes for me sometimes. I want to know your opinion on where I should start. I know every gyaru girl has their own unique style. But can you give some pointers?

    Thanks,

    -Chou

    ReplyDelete