Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Q&A

There are several topics that have been heavily debated (eloquently and not) in the Western Gyaru Community and here are my personal beliefs on a few of these issues. It may not be general consensus of what everyone else believes, but this is just me and I don't claim to represent everyone else.

Q: DO I NEED CIRCLE LENSES IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED GYARU?

A:  A lot of Gals think you do, but I think they are entirely optional. There are some things that are not optional, in my opinion, like false eyelashes. False eyelashes are a necessity, there is not ONE gyaru model that doesn't wear them. I myself am getting circle lenses soon, but without them, I do not feel any less gyaru, or to be honest, look like less of a gyaru.Wearing circle lenses to me, is a personal choice. Gyaru is all about being stylish, feeling fun, being confident, big hair, and big makeup!

Q: WHAT SIZE DO I HAVE TO BE TO BE A GYARU?

A:  I understand why this question is asked in the gyaru community since Gals are very looks-conscious, and yes, all girls are in some way body-conscious. This question however, REALLY pisses me off, as does the Fat-Bashing in the Gyaru Community. I'm not as skinny as I probably should be, and there are a few Gals that are overweight. I'm sure they are trying to lose weight and no one CHOOSES to be fat, but all the negativity doesn't help, not one bit. People shaming these girls doesn't make them any less unhappy with their bodies, it exacerbates the problem. Gyaru is all about feeling beautiful, the style was invented to challenge the accepted, preconceived notion of what beauty IS. So long as you feel beautiful, your hair and your makeup look good, and you feel confident, FUCK what everyone else thinks. I don't care what other people think about me, and really, that's the only way you're going to get anywhere not just in this style but in any alternative style or a different subculture that's not considered "normal." You don't have to be ANY size to be Gyaru. You have to be confident and own it, and know that you look and FEEL beautiful.

Q: DO YOU HAVE TO BE TAN TO BE GYARU?

A: I am very fair skinned and am not tanned at all. Again, I think it's a personal choice. If you feel beautiful with a tan, get a tan, if you're perfectly happy being pale, rock it. Personally, I love my skin and would  never want to change it, and it makes it easier for me personally to find a good shading powder to contour my face. I don't have to use a whole lot, and a good bronzer works wonders for shading. I think Gals should change what they want, and love what they don't want to change.


Q: DO YOU HAVE TO BE BLONDE TO BE GYARU?

A: No! I have seen perfectly beautiful, great Gals with dark hair! If you want to be blonde, be pretty in platinum! If you look better with dark hair, have dark hair! My hair is blue black and again, it doesn't make me feel any less like a true Gyaru.


No comments:

Post a Comment