Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Hair Care!

Teasing, curling, flattening, enough hairspray to withstand a hurricane, a Gal's hair really, really goes through a lot of torture! Just like healthy skin makes your make look better, healthy hair makes your hairstyle look even more great! I do a lot to keep my hair looking healthy and I thought I would share some tips and great products for other gals to use!

1. If you're going to color your hair at home, you MUST use the conditioner that comes in the box! And not the quarter of the tube and save the rest for later like they tell you on the packaging, go ahead and put the whole tube on your head. What I do is put the conditioner on my hair, put on a durable plastic shower cap like the one pictured below, and go ahead and shower. I let the conditioner sit in my hair for the entire shower. I wash my body, my face, do everything but rinse my hair until very last, that way my hair has a chance to soak up the moisture. I use Feria hair coloring, it's very gentle on my hair and doesn't leave it dry and brittle and their conditioner is very good, I highly recommend it.



If you get your hair colored at a salon, I would still use a good conditioning treatment with a conditioner that the salon sells. Biolage makes good conditioner as well as Nexxus and Tresemme.

2. When selecting an every day shampoo, you want to look for key words like "repair" and "moisturizing." Volumizing shampoo is good, but you can use volumizing products like mousse. For hair care, you need to repair, protect, and THEN style. The shampoo and conditioner I use is Dove Damage Therapy Intensive Repair (pictured below.) It gently cleans my hair, it makes it nice, shiny, healthy and soft, and doesn't dry it out or clean too harshly.


3. Hair styling tools are the worst on hair because the heat from our flat irons, curling irons, blowdryers, hot rollers, and everything else damage our hair. To keep your hair from frizzing and frying, I recommend using certain tools to lessen the damage as much as possible. I will list them all below and hopefully some of these help you out!

The first thing I use on my hair before I even touch a blowdryer or anything to my hair is spritz it all over with a good leave in conditioner. It's A 10 Leave-In Miracle Product (pictured below) is the best leave in conditioner I have ever used and it can be found in salons.


After I make sure my hair is good and conditioned, while it is still damp I comb it out. NEVER brush wet hair, use a comb instead. Brushing wet hair, especially if you're rough and pull at it, will break and split your ends. After I comb my hair, again before I even use a blowdryer or anything, I make sure to protect my hair from the heat. I use Got2B's Guardian Angel Flat Iron Balm. (pictured below) It protects hair from heat up to 425 degrees, it smells great, and it's a great product that saves my hair from a lot of damage.



After I use the flat iron balm I blowdry my hair really well and I do not use a curling iron right away, I hot roll my hair. I use a set of 20 Remington rollers that have ionic conditioning. These hot rollers are amazing, they have color coordinated plastic clips for each size roller so you don't have to use metal pins. They make your hair soft and the curls are really bouncy and cute!


After I put my hair in rollers, once I finish the last roller I use Kenra Thermal Styling Spray. The hold on this spray is seriously intense, but it doesn't make hair too sticky or crunchy. It lessens the amount of aerosol hairspray I have to use and it's heat activated!


I hope the list of products help and the advice was useful! There are of course plenty of other options in hair care, hair masks, conditioning treatments, hot oil, etc. If I try these out I will be more than happy to review them here!

No comments:

Post a Comment